Sunday, January 08, 2006

Official: St George is not an English Icon!


Well doesn’t this just take the biscuit?

David Lammy, the culture minister is launching the Icons Online project tomorrow. It’s a virtual collection of “England's most cherished cultural treasures. Nominated by the general public, the Icons collection reflects a contemporary view of English culture and values.”

The initial list includes Alice in Wonderland, Punch and Judy, a cup of tea, the Angel of the North, the FA Cup, London buses, the S.S Empire Windrush, Holbein's portrait of Henry VIII, the King James Bible, the Spitfire, Stonehenge, and William Blake's Jerusalem.

But why oh why leave out the St George Flag? It is the single most identifiable Icon of England. Apparently the government is funding a list of national icons that they hope can save England from the “white van man” image of a St George’s flag stuck to the inside of a vehicle window.

This is proof if any were needed that Nu Labour believes it is politically incorrect to wave our national flag. Roger Scruton, the philosopher and author of England: An Elegy, is not wrong when he is unsurprised by this since, as he puts it, England has “been run for the past few years by some mealy-mouthed Scots.”

More at the Beeb here.

Category: England_

6 Comments:

Blogger Alfie said...

David Lammy - Culture Minister..... An oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Lammy is a complete arse.

This bit from the Times
............. "on the first list of top 10 English icons, chosen by a panel of advisers from the arts and academia".

Why does everything that is mildy nationistic in England ALWAYS have to be put together by P.C. liberals from arts and academia-land? I mean, Empire Wndrush? What a joke.....

This is yet another load of Nu Labour waffle, born from Islington discussion and focus groups in a desperate attempt to head off English Nationalism before it all unravels. And excluding the CofStG, the very symbol that gells us, is somehow, conveniently 'forgotten'. That is a shameful indictment of their conniving, patronising and completely predictable true to life and anti-English stereotypical behaviour.....

Sun Jan 08, 07:12:00 PM GMT  
Blogger David Evans said...

Get a grip England, don't vote for Gordon Brown, another Scot, do me a favour. And yes and I do like the St George Flag, just like the saltire it is a sense of identity.

Sun Jan 08, 10:51:00 PM GMT  
Blogger kats said...

As you know Gavin I live in Scotland, but I'm English shhhhhhh!

The Government up here are a bunch of w****s, sycophants, and are spending money like it's going out of fashion, and lining their pockets.

In their favour though they have done some good things, like, no university fees and old folk don't have to sell their houses if they need taking care of by the state.

The medical treatment up here is second to none, and believe me I've experienced a great deal of English Medicine and Scottish.

I would never move back to England because here I feel safe in my bed.
Where I live I don't bother to lock my car and if I go to bed and forget to lock the door that's OK too.

However Gordon Brown should not be allowed to be Prime Minister of this Country. Nu Labour need to look after the needs of the citizens of this country, but they are also a load of sycophants and are now bordering on fascist.

Glad I got that off my chest. (I'm originally from Cambridge by the way.

Kats :0)

Sun Jan 08, 11:29:00 PM GMT  
Blogger kats said...

Oh, and I also am drowning in books.

Kats:0)

Sun Jan 08, 11:36:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Ah...the true Gavin returns...and I haven't much to add to the comments above...except about 10,000 words of rant against ZanuLabour...and just to decypher Kat's comment that was short an asterisk or two (unless my radar is off) they are WANKERS!!!!!

Sun Jan 08, 11:41:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Maethelwine said...

Well, speaking as an outsider, I identify St. George immediately with England, as does everyone else on Earth. As for the approved list, I'm assuming Empire Windrush is some sort of canoe? And what the hell is the Angel of the North? Hope it doesn't come round my place.

Thu Jan 19, 10:07:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home