Sunday, December 18, 2005

Friday's Full Moon


In case you missed it, Friday's full moon was the biggest and brightest it's been for 18 years. This phenomenon is part of the Saros cycle which saw the moon's orbit brought closest to Earth. It does this every 18 years and 11.3 days to be precise.

According to Dr Jim O'Donnell, of the Royal Greenwich Observatory, it was also "higher in the sky than usual. The combination of those two very rare circumstances gives us a rather spectacular full Moon."

For the same reason the Moon in June appeared lower in the sky than it had for 20 years, creating the optical illusion that it was larger - when viewed in relation to the horizon.

I know a lot has been written debunking any scientific connection between lunar cycles and human behaviour, however those of you with women folk may find it reassuring that this is not going to happen again for another 18 years!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You beat me to it, well actualy you did it - I just gaze at the moon in awe, and wonder these things. If a poster appears as moon princess it'll be me.

Sun Dec 18, 09:20:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I'm right Lucy though aren't I?

There's a great big clock in that sky and when the moon is fat, I know that all hell will break loose! I don't give a damn what the scientists say!

My avatar is a woolf remember!

Sun Dec 18, 09:31:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Gavin, there is NO debunking to be done..any sciebtist who even tries to suggest otherwise is a complete loon.

the moon affects the tides And the weather and us...being mainly water it's hardly surprising!...anyway all this is just an excuse for the funny turns I get. oowoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sun Dec 18, 10:27:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Delicious, eh?

K x

Tue Dec 20, 10:57:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I didn't miss it. I didn't know about this either. My son has been mesmerised by the moon recently, just because it's so dominant in the sky

Wed Dec 21, 11:39:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home