Monday, January 23, 2006

7 x 7 Meme

Since I've been tagged in a 7 x 7 meme by Wonko (henceforth referred to as Stuart the Bastard), I thought I should explain what this means.

A meme (pronounced "meem") is an idea, thought or piece of information that is passed from generation to generation through imitation and behavioural replication. Coined by Richard Dawkins in his 1976 book "The Selfish Gene," memes and memetics are the cultural counterpart to the biological study of genes and genetics. Using the evolution analogy, Dawkins observed that human cultures evolve via "contagious" communications in a manner similar to the gene pool of populations over time. There is an argument that in humans, cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has superseded biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. So an idea, considered as a replicator, behaves a little like a parasite which causes people to propagate it, much as viruses do. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

There's shed loads more about it on Wikipedia and jolly interesting it is too, but for this purpose we are talking a kind of blogging-chain-letter-cum-parasite, courtesy of Stuart the Bastard! And as he's TOLD everyone he's tagged me I'll have to do it.

Trouble is, my mind has gone completely blank...I think this will be more word association (football) rather than anything approaching a deeply profound response...

Seven Things To Do Before I Die
1. Live the life of Riley on the proceeds of my second and subsequent novels. The first, having been duly completed by me, published to great literary acclaim for a first novel, yet gone to blockbuster status instantly.
2. See Hollywood snap up the film rights to the aforementioned book and smugly attend the premiere of the blockbuster movie.
3. Keep the Evil Daughter on the straight and narrow long enough to see her in gainful employment, and thus off my hands. If need be by securing her a leading role in (2) above through nepotism, or (less likely) marrying her off to an eligible suitor who is not a chav with no chin.
4. Given that (1) and or (2) pan out, make anonymous gifts to deserving people and causes (except the Evil One because I'll already have done my bit for her).
5. Remember and then make amends for all the evil things I have done, just in case I was wrong on the atheism front...
6. Sort out state Education provision in this country.
7. Wash the car. I will get round to it, honest. Maybe next Spring...


Seven Things I Cannot Do
1. Apologise properly (apparently).
2. Explain things patiently to idiots.
3. Undo the knots in chains.
4. Lie convincingly.
5. Tell children that Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy are not real. (Quite a challenge given (4).
6. Play a musical instrument.
7. Long division.

Seven Things I Say
1. It's nearly finshed.
2. Still soon be Christmas...
3. Will you lot stop squabbling!
4. It's your round.
5. Yeah right!
6. You know where you can stick your fucking job
7. There's many a man walking the Thames Embankment for not getting his trumps out soon enough. (Oh no sorry, that was my Dad, I got confused!)


Seven Things That Attract Me to...Family Life
1. Being in a close orbit of the centre of the universe. Mrs C. is naturally at the epicentre.
2. Seeing the children's faces on Christmas morning; little ones so excited, big ones sportingly keeping the myth going.
3. Family suppers, with menus made by younger daughter complete with her unique, dyslexic (but pleasingly medieval) spelling.
4. Making things with the kids for school projects that prove to be ridiculously over ambitious (that bloody chain mail coif took six & a half THOUSAND steel rings!)
5. Teasing the yoof and playing devil's advocate to make them think.
6. Watching them spread their wings...from Nativity Plays to Debating Competitions.
7. Being needed when it all goes horribly wrong.


Seven Books That I Love (total cheat since they are the nearest to me on the shelf)
1. Longbow - Robert Hardy
2. Football Factory, Headhunters and England Away (trilogy) - John King
3. Emperor series (all three so far) - Conn Iggulden
4. The Flashman books - George Macdonald Fraser
5. The Last Kingdom (and sequel The Pale Horseman) - Bernard Cornwell
6. Discworld (any of them) - Terry Pratchett
7. Citizen of the Galaxy - Robert A. Heinlein


Seven Movies That I've Loved (from the top of the DVD pile so I guess they get a lot of viewing round here)
1. Fight Club
2. The Matrix
3. School of Rock
4. Kight's Tale
5. 10 Things I Hate About You
6. The Day after Tomorrow
7. Shrek

Just to perpetuate the agony, I hearby tag:

1. Span
2. Six
3. Kayfer
4. Mags
5. Augustus
6. DFH
7. Kats

Did I mention you have Stuart the Bastard to blame for this...

25 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Gavin the bastard has a nice ring to it.

Re your first point in "7 things I can't do"...bloody right!...nor the second point...errrr...someone told me...:-)

...and I've got a very busy week ahead!

Mon Jan 23, 02:48:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Oh Span my old mate, I was just sharing...;-)

Mon Jan 23, 02:51:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

BTW In "Seven Things That Attract Me to..." insert own fetish!

Mon Jan 23, 02:55:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ok - I wont play then :p
And please turn of word verification!

Mon Jan 23, 02:56:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

What do I do now I've landed here, do I have to tag people too, or have I completely missed the point.

I'm a bit worried considering your '7 things I cannot do' no.2

Mon Jan 23, 02:58:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Yes Six! Use the titles and do your own answers then tag another seven people!

Mon Jan 23, 03:05:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Lucy - I think you are about to be tagged!

Mon Jan 23, 03:07:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Ok blimey that's a lot of pressure, especially as i'm completely stacked.

Mon Jan 23, 03:20:00 PM GMT  
Blogger wonkotsane said...

We aim to please. :)

Mon Jan 23, 03:39:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Blame Wonko (Stuart the Bastard Six!)

And Stuart! You've got some neck coming round here!!!!:-)

Mon Jan 23, 03:56:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

"Seven Things I Cannot Do" point 2 does seem to be finding a resonant note amongst my blog buddies...

Mon Jan 23, 03:59:00 PM GMT  
Blogger kats said...

Yes, Span Gavin the Bastard certainly has a nice ring to it - I'll see what I can come up with though.

By the way Gavin - You Bastard!

Mon Jan 23, 07:29:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Fuck off Kats my lovely! :-)

Mon Jan 23, 07:34:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do what I did and give up half way through with a good excuse

Mon Jan 23, 08:09:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

And this is why the country is going to the dogs!

Kev, get back in the Witanagetot and stop subverting my people!

Mon Jan 23, 08:14:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

:-)

Mon Jan 23, 08:19:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Right, this'll take some thought.....

Cheers Gav!

Mon Jan 23, 08:30:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Madam, my abject apologies! How may I grovel...

Mon Jan 23, 08:32:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Gavin, mine will have to wait until the weekend by which time all R5 lot will have been tagged and I'll be left holding the baton!

BASTARD!

Tue Jan 24, 10:38:00 AM GMT  
Blogger kats said...

I've done mine and I refuse to tag anyone else. |So there!!!

Tue Jan 24, 07:07:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Gavin, what happens to you if you refuse to be tagged? Only I really don't have time for all this nonsense right now! What is it with boyz and silly games?

Tue Jan 24, 08:45:00 PM GMT  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

Don't worry, I can't do long division either.

A 'Knight's Tale' in your movie list. It was an okey film, but I thought the music was highly inappropriate; it didn't suit the middle-age setting.

Tue Jan 24, 10:40:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Finn, A Knight's Tale is rock and roll history, so why not have a soundtrack to match? But it makes the point that tournaments were the medieval equivalent of a cross between a major rock concert and a huge sporting event with the knights as superstars. Anyway the characters don't speak Middle English (or even a cod-Olde-Worlde English mercifully) so why not?

I like it - but it is a kids film - then so are Shrek, School of Rock and Ten Things I Hate About You (modern take on Taming of the Shrew). Did you know they filled the hollow points of the lances with pasta to get that splintering effect?

Actually I am fairly certin that we only aquired Knight's Tale and 10 Things in the first place because the Evil One had a crush on Heath Ledger though...

Mags you are entirely free to refuse to play. Or you can make a piss-poor job of it like some Witangamot folk have done...I shall merely spend some time pleasurably thinking up ways in which to chastise you....

Wed Jan 25, 09:47:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Mister Frost said...

Tag!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 25, 08:09:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

So should I be running...?

Thu Jan 26, 12:45:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home