Tuesday, November 15, 2005

At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines...


It’s the thirtieth anniversary of Springsteen’s album “Born to Run” and the Anniversary Edition box set is released today. Nicky Campbell was on about it on 5Live this morning with a journo from Mojo Magazine – if you’re interested, the article is the cover story on the next issue, out 1st December but in the meantime here’s one from Rolling Stone

The Boss says “I wanted it to sound enormous, to grab you by your throat and insist that you take that ride, insist that you pay attention -- not just to the music, but to life, to being alive.” Too right. It did just that – still does. Eight songs and thirty-nine minutes of some of the most powerful and romantic rock music ever made, it was the turning point in his career.

But it’s “Thunder Road” that steals the album (and the show) every time as Springsteen acknowledges, "There is something about the [piano] melody of 'Thunder Road' that suggests a new day -- which is why that song ended up first on the record, instead of 'Born to Run.'”

Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me

You can hide 'neath your covers
And study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets
Well now I'm no hero
That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl
Is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now
Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow back your hair
Well the night's busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven's waiting on down the tracks
Oh oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road
oh Thunder Road
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run
Oh Thunder Road, sit tight take hold
Thunder Road

Copyright © Bruce Springsteen

You can’t say fairer than that, eh? But 30 years ago? Humour me, it’s my birthday today – so I’m indulging myself! Hell, the highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive...

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Ace...saw The Boss at Wembley Stadium in 1985...those early 80's were the best years of my life...I feel a song coming on!...

but then I was born to run...in fact I've been 'running' ever since!!!

Tue Nov 15, 04:04:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Nah! You're thinking of Bryan Adams - Wembley - 85ish - with Tina Turner! I was there!

Tue Nov 15, 07:45:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

FUCK OFF!...I am thinking of Bruce Springsteen!

Tue Nov 15, 09:06:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Steady on ...best years of my life...Bryan Adams...

Tue Nov 15, 09:40:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home