Saturday, November 12, 2005

Cats

I like cats. I know we're all supposed to be split into cat people and dog people - I like them both but I like cats more than dogs now - they're just not so needy and demanding. And they crap in someone else's garden! Always a plus!

And I don't like little scrawny creatures. I mean I really don't like them - verging on the phobic. Little rib cages. Scrabbling feet. Naked tails. Euw! I don't like them at all. I also don't like creatures bred into deformity. You know the kind of thing...all dogs are wolves, right? But bulldogs can't give birth without caesarian section. Yuk! Got the picture?

Anyway my younger daughter (not the evil one) wanted a fluffy thing to hug and love and stroke and keep for her birthday. Hamsters are right out and I really couldn't face a house-rabbit, so I got her a kitten. My elder son thinks the husbandry of beasts of any sort in the house is deeply medieval - however you can't please all the children all the time.

Now given I don't care for little scrabbly things, I researched big cats. Big BIG cats. By all accounts there's enough Alien Big Cats (ABCs) at large in this country to provide breeding populations courtesy of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976, at which point anyone with an exotic beast let it go. Skummy off the 5 Live Message Boards claims (repeatedly) to have seen one. However...

The lynx was once indiginous to the British Isles but sadly the native lynx became extinct 2000 years ago. We still have Scottish Wild cat Felis Sylvestris Grampia and very handsome he is too. Even if I could find one, I didn't think he'd be so cool as a pet. So I looked to America and found the Maine Coon.

Gorgeous creatures. Big old boys. They are wild in Maine and the Eastern seaboard and hugely growing in popularity in this country. Some say they are an inter-mingling of the Norweigan forest cat and a native wild cat. No-one really knows but they are serious snow cats with hairy feet, big paws and a mane to die for!

Our cat is only a kitten but this is his brother against a wine bottle for scale.

When that leaps through the bedroom window in the middle of the night and lands on your chest - I tell you, you know about it! And I'm only talking about his kid brother!

11 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

FUCK! Is that a normal wine bottle? (i.e. 75cl)!!! that cat's a tiger!

Sun Nov 13, 03:13:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

When I say a BIG cat I mean a BIG cat!

The cat is big!

Sun Nov 13, 03:45:00 AM GMT  
Blogger David Evans said...

On the down side, think of the cat crap on your lawn from that beastie, there again they don't crap on their own patch, just someone elses.

Sun Nov 13, 04:27:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Big, it's a frickin' enormocat.

Sun Nov 13, 04:29:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

He's a BIG cat! Very big! BIG I say! There's no two ways about it - he's very big indeed!

And yes! He craps in the neighbour's garden - their German Shepherd is scared of him...

Sun Nov 13, 07:48:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

MIAOW!

Man alive, what a beast!

Siegfreid and Roy want their act back! 'Act', 'Cat'....see what I did there? By accident too!

Talking of accidents, if that bad boy keeps pooing in toher peoples gardens, in a way that can only be likened with a lion, a few 'accidents' might happen to your car!

K ate x

Mon Nov 14, 09:22:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gavin, Uncle Rupert's cat Rosie is a Maine Coone as well.She's read your article but seems to think she's got to have a blog account to reply !

Fri Jun 30, 07:57:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Oh for goodness sake. Tell her to chip in regardless. Everyone else does!

Fri Jun 30, 11:49:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gavin, your gorgeous cat looks just like my Maine Coon, Rosie.
She is enormous and weighs more than 20lbs.

Her breeder is in New Forest, they could be related.
I'd love to send you her photo'
but I can't do it here.

Lovely photo of your Coon bye the way.
Also when Rosie stretches out full length, including her massive tail
she is almost four a half feet long.

Rupe

Sat Jul 01, 01:58:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Curiously enough, Rupe, passers-by stop and remark on Fester's tail. It is a wondrous thing to behold!

Sun Jul 02, 06:27:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Doktor Skum said...

i did indeed see the beast of bodmin. It was an enormous balck cat. A big black panther i guess but i am no expert.


Of two things i am certain. It was cat shaped and moved the way that cats do. It was bigger than nearby sheep which i was able to use as a scale.

Fri Sep 15, 03:15:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home