Saturday, February 11, 2006

Is there such a thing as too much Lurpak?


I'm all for buying Danish - on principle - but man cannot survive on chips, beans, white bread and Lurpak alone.

Scott Martin who existed on such a diet died of malnutrition, aged just 20. He bled to death on Christmas Eve after suffering medical complications after an operation to remove three infected teeth. He had cirrhosis of the liver (but didn't drink) and developed a secondary condition, auto-immune hepatitis, which thinned his blood and prevented his body from healing properly.

Now don't get me wrong. This is not Lurpak's fault. Lurpak is excellent butter. In dairy, as in meats, being Danish has meant being good. And to boycott their produce really is a bit rich on ethical grounds. It is undeniable that the cartoons were run, almost without ripple, until the OUTSIDE world reacted. Inside Denmark, few saw a problem with them. Everyone knows it.
"Denmark, along with its Scandanavian neighbours, has been serious about social justice. It is a vigorously ethical nation, where integrity prevails and equality is subscribed to as a guiding principle.

Generally, the Danish are well-liked abroad and well-respected, with little prejudice against them anywhere, let alone backlash."

But the same article makes the very valid point that companies that use their nationality as a selling point are tying their fortunes to the acts of politicians and newspapers, and even to a nation's minorities, from football hooligans to travellers abroad.


So, while I prefer my butter the English way, salty...mmmn like my bacon.... (OK I KNOW I'm unreconstructed), I particularly liked the Lurpak commercials with Douglas (the little Aardman animation chappy) and the Penelope Keith voice-over. So in the interests of health and international harmony, I am proposing a revival of Douglas for the World Cup - football hooligan Douglas - sport, politics, religion, nationalism and healthy eating in one neat package - so educational.

Just remember children, balance, in diet as in all things is key! What about a percussion section?

Totally on message.

9 Comments:

Blogger Immodesty Blaze said...

Just buy a Bodum coffe mug and a Bang Olufsen stereo (that you've always wanted anyway) and you can stick to your British butter...

Sat Feb 11, 07:39:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Who hasn't everyone got a Bodum caffetiere? I once had a B&O telly...then I got children. Nope. It's bacon and butter for me madam!

On a point of pinciple, it is most unusual for you to be defining yourself as J's Girlfriend...I do hope some of the more militant feminists amongst my readership are erm ...well not reading...and that the pervier amongst my readership are well...

Oh dear visits from Span await you madam!

Sat Feb 11, 07:55:00 PM GMT  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Oh...dial up unmetered is so slow...I hope to go broadband soon...

Thanks for linking me(Still learning myself how to add special features)

The blogs are so interesting the
problem is reading them all, how many hours are there in a day?

Can't decide if we actually are thinking more because we post or always thought about things as deeply before messageboards and blogs came along.

I'm surprising myself even.

Yes, I tend to agree with you on this thread that its everything in moderation and to denie yourself is not a good idea.

I was seriously ill some 8 years ago...touch and go and on recovery I asked if my diet was to blame and was told no.

If you able, exercise or sports may a good idea but equally how many who did sports as a career find themselves injured in some way later in life?

So do nothing...you may get fat...do something you may become less mobile. Again, moderation.

Commonsense plays a part too, so much for Governemnt directives of how to live our lives...

All The Best...

Sun Feb 12, 12:42:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Well hello Gildy, welcome!

You can't read them all, mate.... You read the folk that grab your attention, or the ones that argue with you...

But you are most welcome here sir!

Sun Feb 12, 01:18:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree re everything in balance; it's just being able to do it is the big problem.

...and BTW Mr. Corder just WHAT do you mean by your comments aboit me?

J's girlfriend...nice template...DOH!

Sun Feb 12, 11:03:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S....I always look at the blog of a new name that has commented on any of out R5L blogs; also visit blogs randomly via the "Next Blog" button on the Blogger toolbar, if more females than males choose to comment when they revisit me (if they do) then that's not me being pervy...




...but it helps...:-)

Sun Feb 12, 11:06:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Span I may have made a joke to far...I apologise profusely and profoundly. I'd send rum to Spain but that would be coals to Newcastle.

So how about London Pride in England courtesy of my mate Richard?

Sun Feb 12, 07:30:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Span Ows said...

:-)

This isn't a problem Gavin, the London Pride will be fine thankyou.

It's the 'jokes' where you ahve completely misunderstood me that I can't handle...but this isn't one of them.

Tue Feb 14, 06:01:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Good so stop being huffy and drink up! Your round next. We non-smokers need something to do with our hands...

Tue Feb 14, 05:50:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home